Friday, July 13, 2007

Scalped! What do you think?

If I have time this weekend, I'll go into more detail on this later, but I think Scalped, by Jason Aaron and R. M. Guera, is the best Vertigo comic in years. I think DMZ and Fables are both solid books, but, based on the first handful of issues Scalped looks to be something quite amazing. It's like David Milch meets Robert Altman if that makes any sense.

Has anyone else been reading Scalped? What do you think about it?

And if you disagree with me, I'd like to see why you think DMZ or Fables are superior to Scalped in any way. Make your case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaron's scripts have a density to them without being overly expository. Each issue of Scalped feels...meaty. It takes me longer to get through it than any other book I read, but it never feels laboured. The most frightening thing is that Aaron only has a handful of published comics on his resume--he's still learning his craft...

And Guera's art is an absolute revelation: stunning, varied page layouts, combined with an ability to depict both shocking brutality and quiet, introspective moments.

As you can tell, I also think Scalped is brilliant--the book has a feel and voice all its own after a only a few months, and writer and artist already possess an infectious synergy.