Sunday, May 31, 2009

"Marshal Law": The Non-Movie!

A couple of months ago, I posted something about how the non-smash success of the "Watchmen" movie might be a bit of a blessing since if it had been a huge it, the studios would have rushed to produce more "grim and gritty" R-rated superhero stuff and we would have had the sins of the 90s comic books repeated on the big screen.

Some people were aghast that I'd make such a comment, saying that it's like I'm throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

But if you listened to the Word Balloon interview with Kevin O'Neill from a few weeks back (which I just got around to listening to today), you'll hear a little story about how a "Marshal Law" movie WAS in the works as the build-up to "Watchmen" started to increase, but after "Watchmen" came out and kind of fizzled, the "Marshal Law" project was abandoned. The director who was attached to the movie -- the one who met with Kev O'Neill to discuss the project: McG.

So maybe I was throwing out the baby with the bathwater, but when the baby is McG's "Marshal Law," I'll throw that baby right out into the back yard. And then I'll kick it.

Man, I love "Marshal Law" by Pat Mills and Kev O'Neill, though. I'll have to find my copies of that first Epic series and do a reread for "When Words Collide" this summer. That series was genius.

1 comment:

Chad Nevett said...

That is definitely some good news. I can't wait for the omnibus collection of this book to come out. I can still remember being... oh, somewhere in the 7-9 age range and flipping through those comics. My childhood was fantastic at times.